Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Um, those fries...





So a few weeks ago, I went out with my "coworker"/boyfriend and some of his friends. As you, the reader, most likely know, I love a good dive and am never one to complain when it comes to a gross, disgusting bar. I thrive in an environment where the walls are lined with bricks, the air still lingers with the smell of Marlboro Reds from 20 years ago and the juke box blares a song by The Boss.

I really do feel like I have fairly high tolerance for certain watering holes, but I usually complain and get les miserables when I end up at a place like Drink The Orginal Fun Bar or some place where girls run around in skank tops and guys sit and down vodka Red Bulls.

Anyway, so you can only imagine my delight when we ended up at The Country Bar. My style! I recollect we arrived around 9 pm (on a Saturday), still early, even for myself. I had to use the lavatory, and when we all arrived, it was still fairly tame. I walked back to find the only female bathroom was occupied. 10-12 minutes later, I was still patiently waiting for the single occupancy bathroom to vacate as my bladder festered. Ugh. Anyway, you can imagine what was going on in the facility. The most busted couple/"I just met you at the country bar about 18 minutes ago" set of people wandered out together. Gross. But I do give them credit: they actually ended up dancing together for the rest of the night (from what I observed) right next to the karaoke machine. Match made in heaven! I'm sure we'll see their wedding ad in the New York Times at some point in the very near future.

Anyway, as usual, I jibber jabber. The main point of this post is to discuss the food. I clearly love greasy, deep fat fried food. No doubt. But at some point, a basket of fries was ordered (not by me...seriously). At this point, many a karaoke song had been sung and I'd had a couple of gin and tonics. And had possibly ordered a pitcher of beer for two. Nonetheless, this basket of crinkle fries (which I had not yet sampled) was rubbing me the wrong way. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but you know when something smells like a taste completely unrelated? I know this is a ridiculous statement, but I know someone must know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, the crinkle cut french fries at the country bar smell (and after later sampling...taste) like diaper rash cream. I finally figured it out. Thank God after all the drinking I was able to put two and two together. I believe I had two fries and decided I could consume no more. This was the first time in my life I have turned away french fries. DIAPER RASH FRIES they will always be known as from this point forward. I am still curious as to how one makes their fried food taste like diaper rash cream.

This is in no way a bad review of The Country Bar; only a statement about their Diaper Rash French Fries.

No comments: