Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Express Yourself


Ahoy, Ahoy! First, let me say that I am proud and flattered that my dearest friend Shelgie has invited me to contribute to this blog. If my writing is as funny as stuffing a head mannequin into a box and shipping it across country then I think everyone is in for a treat.

Today, I will tackle the topic of creativity and those that seek to stifle it at my law school. This semester I am taking an alternative dispute resolution class and part of the weekly torture involves fake mediations. Last week I was assigned the role of an attorney representing a landlord who had entered into an agreement with a tenant (a commercial lease for a restaurant which was named the Red Devil Dog Grill). The thought of sitting in front of the class and pretending to advocate on behalf of my client made me want to vomit, but since I had no choice I decided it was the perfect opportunity to express myself, wave my belligerence flag, and make everyone uncomfortable.

So I made a power point featuring this picture that you see here and purported that my client had installed a devil on his building and needed his money back. I repeatedly referred to "devil installation" and "devil improvements". I claimed that my client needed months and months for "devil removal" and replacement of "devil facade". After 2 hours of what I considered a more than stellar performance, I left the room slightly embarrassed. Luckily after the embarrassment passed I was once again filled with my usual delusions of grandeur and have giggled every time I have looked at this picture.

No comments: